Tips on Choosing the Best School for your Kids in Dubai
Selecting the best school for your child is a huge responsibility, especially when you have just moved into a new place like Dubai There are so many choices but making the right choice is very easy: you should choose the school where your child will be happy.
As a parent, you know your child better than anyone else and so you must make careful observations, ask the right questions and work out where your kids will be happiest. Here is a simple checklist you may wish to use when you make a school visit:
- Is there a safe, friendly and welcoming environment?
- Is it a place where children’s learning is visible and fun?
- Do the children have opportunities for free play and to build relationships?
- Is the school committed to nurturing talent?
- Do they employ teachers who are passionate about their disciplines?
- Is the school flexible to an individual child’s needs?
- Does the school take academic standards seriously but not to the detriment of high quality pastoral care and well-being?
- Does the school have the right facilities to support your children’s learning in all areas?
- What is included in the school day (and fees) - does this include enrichment activities?
- Are there plans for coaching and competitive fixtures?
- Do older students take on leadership roles and act as role models?
- Are there opportunities for creativity through the visual and performing arts?
- How does the school engage with parents and the wider community through celebrations and events?
As choosing your children’s school will have a big impact on their lives for a long time, it’s normal to feel anxious if the decision is right. That’s why it’s advised to make sure you examine the school closely if possible; schedule a visit and go for a tour at its facilities.
It helps a lot if you can take a closer look at its whole setting, ask all the questions you feel you need to, and speak to its teachers and even Head of the School. Learn as much as you can about its curriculum and environment, and don’t feel rushed – this is a very important decision.